I have a confession to make… I’m a picky eater. There, I admit it. I’m not that bad of one though, because I can pretty much find something to eat at almost any restaurant. Usually, it involves chicken, which I could probably eat at every meal for the rest of my life and be completely content. The reason I’m sharing this, is that I have passed this not so lovely trait onto my child. I think he has become the king of picky eating ????
So, how do you know if you have a picky eater? Here are a few of the things you might notice.
10 Tell Tale Signs of a Picky Eater
- Your child can and will eat the same thing for every meal. No joke, Logan would eat chicken nuggets for lunch and dinner every single day if I would let him.
- There are only a few foods your child will put in their mouth, and there is no deviating from those foods. Some days, this list of foods will be a little smaller. Kids can be so fickle sometimes.
- There is a struggle at meal time every.single.day! It is usually over what they are going to eat and the fact that they are suddenly not hungry because it isn’t really what they were asking or hoping for. Or, maybe the cheese on the pizza is stringy, and apparently, that’s just gross to a four-year-old.
- The mere mention of trying a new food brings tears and protesting along with a mouth shut so tight there is no chance any food at all is entering those lips. This happens all the time. You’d think that at this point I’d stop asking him if he’d like to try something from my plate. I keep hoping one day the answer will be yes.
- If you place a new food for your child to try on their plate, the tears and tantrum starts. Usually, in our situation, the food ends up back on my plate or stuffed somewhere it doesn’t belong that I find a few days later.
- You find yourself packing and taking a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for your child when you go to other people’s homes for meals because you know that they will not eat the food served. Then you find yourself apologizing for your child and trying to explain the whole situation because not every person can understand the life of a super picky eater.
- If bread is involved, you better believe your child will eat it. ???? In fact, not just bread, but any dessert. If you mention cake, ice cream, or cookies, suddenly your child is willing to eat or try any/all of them without hesitation.
- A daily multivitamin is necessary because you know there is no way your child is getting a healthy, well-rounded diet.
- You are on Pinterest constantly trying to find recipes that your child will eat with hidden fruits and vegetables. Let’s just say I am not beneath hiding them in food. Having that peace of mind that my son is getting some nutritious food in his body is more important than him knowing there was a serving of spinach in that muffin he just ate.
- You are praying that the day comes when they outgrow this pickiness and will gladly start trying new foods again (since they tried and liked everything you gave them before the age of 2) because right now the fight is soo tough.
So, can any of you other parents relate? This is not an easy road, and I would not wish it on my worst enemy. I’m pretty sure this is pay back for all those times I swore before I had kids that my child would NOT be a picky eater and I would NOT be that mom making two meals at dinner time. Now I’m guilty of both.
I’m sure you are hoping that I will give you some fantastic solution to fix this trying situation. Well, I wish I could honestly tell you how to fix your picky eater situation. However, I’m still sitting over here trying to figure it out myself. Right now, I’m just patiently waiting for that day when Logan will magically ask to try the green beans I’m eating. (I know, a mom can dream, right?)
While I’m waiting for that magical day to happen, I can make sure that the snacks I’m giving Logan are healthy and contain a serving of fruits and vegetables. I am always on the hunt for healthy alternatives to Logan’s favorites. He loves fruit snacks, so I was super excited when I had the opportunity to try Veggie-Go’s Fruit and Vegetable Snacks.
What are Veggie-Go’s Fruit and Vegetable Snacks?
I’ll be honest, when I was asked to try Veggie-Go’s, I had never heard of them. However, after reading a little bit about them and what they are, I was so excited and couldn’t wait to receive them! They are a healthy version of fruit snacks and fruit rollups, without the roll.
This is the first snack I’ve come across for Logan that has a serving of fruit and vegetables in every single serving, whether it’s the bites (which are like fruits snacks) or the strips (think fruit leather or a fruit roll up without the roll factor). Plus, there is no sugar added!
The last big thing about Veggie-Go’s fruit and vegetable snack you need to know, is that when you look at the ingredient list, you can pronounce every single ingredient in them. I’m big into looking for snacks that aren’t full of a ton of chemicals and words I can’t pronounce 🙂 These meet my critical mom criteria.
Did My Picky Eater Like Them?
This would be the million-dollar question, did my picky eater like this snack? The answer, in short, is YES! While he didn’t care for all of them, he likes the Berry, Apple + Spinach Strips. In fact, he calls them his yummy healthy snack. I love that! In fact, I don’t even buy traditional fruit snacks anymore. I have these, and when Logan wants a gummy kind of snack, I pull out a Veggie-Go strip.
I myself, tried all the different flavors and loved them. There are moments where I need a quick little snack and these are perfect. I’ll grab a pack of the bites to eat on my way out the door. I also keep a few of them in my purse at all times for a great, healthy on-the-go snack.
I love knowing that there are people out there who care about the struggle parents have when it comes to getting kids to eat healthily. The couple behind Veggie-Go’s are amazing and have created a product that I’m not sure we can live without. In fact, I wish I had heard about them sooner!
Top Reasons to Rush Out and Buy Some
So, for the moms of picky eaters, and moms of any kid really, these are such a great snack. I urge you to try them! In case you need a little more convincing, here are a few more reasons you need them in your life…
- They are perfect for packing in school lunches.
- They are gluten free for those of you struggling to keep gluten out of your home.
- All the vegetables and fruits used are guaranteed organic.
- There is no sugar added, but they still taste sweet and delicious.
- You will find yourself grabbing them for a snack!
- It gives you the peace of mind that your kiddos are eating something that’s healthy for them and they don’t even realize it. Huge win in my book 🙂
- My certified picky eater likes them which is a big deal because he rarely tries anything new!
So, if you can’t tell, I am super excited about these, and I hope you give them a try! Check out their website here for a list of places to buy Veggie-Go’s.
Okay, so now that I’ve shared something that works for my picky eater, I’d love to hear how some of you have gotten yours to try new foods!